For Ali. (well, really, it's not for Ali. It's for me. In remembering my friend Ali, who died a year ago and whose voice I miss in this world.)
I first did this writing exercise at a nature writing class at the Boy Scout camp one summer on the eve of the start of school. I keep coming back to it as a way to start writing.
I first did this writing exercise at a nature writing class at the Boy Scout camp one summer on the eve of the start of school. I keep coming back to it as a way to start writing.
Inspired by "13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" by Wallace Stevens....
8 Ways of Counting Rests
I
Whether sitting
in the middle
of a gaggle of violins in a concert
or
watching from the audience while your friends
perform complex feats of musical marvoulousness,
perform complex feats of musical marvoulousness,
it's interesting to check out
how different people
count measures of rest.
II
Some ever so slightly
keep track with their fingers on the strings;
I see the pressure
and slight lift of the fingers
counting from 1 to 5 and back to 1.
III
Some
who think we can't see them
beat out the rhythm
who think we can't see them
beat out the rhythm
in the usual
1-2-3-4
down-left-right-up
pattern
as if they were their own conductor
IV
Some put their
instruments down
for the count.
It's a long wait;
that clues me in to listen
to the soloist
or wait for the upcoming
crash of drums
or trill of the piccolo.
V
All this counting
of the pauses.
VI
And in reality
I'm equally impatient
with the pauses
the breaks in schedule
the blanks in my calendar
VII
I feel the need to count
to figure out
what's
next
VIII
When perhaps I should
let the rests
happen
without counting
without conducting
with the pauses
the breaks in schedule
the blanks in my calendar
VII
I feel the need to count
to figure out
what's
next
VIII
When perhaps I should
let the rests
happen
without counting
without conducting
1 comment:
Beautiful, Kristin. Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking of Ali a lot lately. More so when the weather gets dreary and I have no one to walk up the hill with and share our days' drama.
The rests, contemplative moments, sustain me and keep me from giving in to the craziness of life and from giving up.
Post a Comment