Tuesday, March 24, 2009

True Confessions and Task Completion

Sometimes I get behind and forgot to do important things. I know it's antithetical to the view of Kristin as rule follower that I usually espouse - but sometimes I just let things slide.

I'll not shovel the snow and then fall on my way across the porch because it's now a big ice pack.
I'll let the car almost run out of gas and then have to find my way to a gas station at the most inconventient time.
I'll leave a bowl of black bean salad in the fridge until it has grown fuzzy and smells horrid and I have to deal with the mess.

Last year at this time, I let slide that fact that the state of Alaska wanted to give me $3200 of free money by simply ignoring the deadline to apply for the Permanent Fund Dividend check that most Alaska residents are eligible to receive. I just let it pass by.



For those of you not familiar with the PFD, it's the Alska Permanent Fund Divident and comes from a fund that is a certain percent of Alaska's oil revenue (something like 25%) that is invested -- the dividends of that fund each year go to well deserving residents of Alaska such as myself. To get a dividend check, you've got to be an Alaska resident for the year prior to applying, not be a convicted felon, and make sure you have enough days per year being physically in the state (unless you're off in the military, going to college, or training for the Olympics - that's one option on the form if you have to list why you've been gone but should still get a check). There are much more complicated ways to describe about what the PFD is and all - that's really just the very very quick and dirty version - but you get the idea. Free money.

And I let the deadline pass last year and I didn't get the money.
And it happened once before.

So this year, my friends have been on a mission to help make sure I get my act together. Their intervention started on January 1st, the day the application period opened for this year's check. I think no fewer than 3 different and unconnected people called to remind me to get online and apply. Which I did. But had to do some extra steps because I, as I've already mentioned/admitted, I didn't apply last year. Print a couple of forms, fill them out, get some documentation, send it in. And on January 1 I did the printing and filling out, but not the mailing.

Throughout the winter and into spring (if that's what you want to technically call it... raining, snowing, blowing wind spring!), many people have reminded me to get this application done. They call, they email, they stop my in the middle of a converstation.

Today, I'm happy to report that I've achieved task completion. All the paperwork has been sent it. I'm good to go!

PS - I'm also hoping the Alaska Legislature passes all the bills they have in committee to divest the Permanent Fund from interests in Sudan. Otherwise I might have to send my next check all directly to charity and not keep any of it myself. I really really hope they get their act together.

In case you need some evidence:

1 comment:

Lee Anne said...

I'm glad you have such good friends! That is a nice sum of money!