Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bonus day!

I missed the trip to Haines this weekend as I didn't buy my ferry ticket and they sold out (!). So, I had a bonus day in Juneau to get some things taken care of that needed to happen.

I'm trying to get the house ready for the arrival of Mom and Aunt Karen - they're headed up this way in a few weeks but it's going to be busy here as the school year wraps up. So, today's task: some good "gardening."

Step one: Buying the usual flat o' annuals to put in the flower boxes. I bought the obligatory pansy and viola, some petunia, lobilia, dianthus, and a couple of snapdragons. I continue to have one box that's lettuce - this year there's some rainbow chard added in there, too.

Step two: getting some perennials from my friend Chris. She had some plants she needed to thin out and share with me. So I took a few with me downtown.

Step three: Planting. Well, first, I'll admit - I did some weed whacking of my "yard." Essentially, that's my method of mowing -- I just let the weed grow up - they look actually kind of pretty when they get tall -- but I hear my dad's voice in the back of my head telling me to get rid of them -- so, I take the weed whacker to it every once in a while. Today was the first week whack of the season. Then I could get into the side storage entrance to the crawl space and find the remnants of last year's potting soil and other gardening supplies. I planted several pots and boxes with the flowers and luttuce -- then I tackled transplanting the cuts from Chris. I have a feeling those perennials won't make it unless I get them into some bigger containers or get them right into the ground -- I'm just not really set up yet for actual landscaping... I'm relying on the containers to help make things look better...

I'll give it a few days and then take some pics and report back.

3 comments:

mom said...

I'm getting excited re my visit and am thrilled you're planting. Dad will be happy your weed whacking. I'm praying to the weather gods for sunshine. Do you have any chores you want me to do while I'm there?

kristin said...

I'm trying to come up with a list of chores... pretty much it's just going to be "entertain yourself" and make dinner for me! Yum!

mom said...

sounds good to me.