Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ah, vampires

twilight_book_cover.jpg
I finally broke down and decided to read the Twilight saga... I just finished the last one (there are 4, in case you've been living in a cave or aren't surrounded by Edward-loving teeny-boppers all year long). In my bookclub - whose book I didn't read last month, again - we generally begin our discussion by giving a thumbs up or thumbs down en masse. Wait for it -- 1,2,3 -- my thumb's in the middle.

If you like vampires, werewolves (or whatever they are), and lusting after that which you cannot have, then the series is for you. I spent too much energy analyzing the ridiculous role model relationship between the two main characters - Edward and Bella - to enjoy the book all that much, and there was a lot of time when nothing much was happening - but I can see how my teeny-bopper students are drawn in. How could they not be.

Now I have to re-read Half Blood Prince to get ready for the new Harry Potter movie and my summer will be entertainment-ready!

1 comment:

mom said...

I saw an interview withe the author on some TV talk show a while back- she's very young. Enjoy the rest of your summer.