Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Moments of Clarity


First of all, let me say this:
Not all movie theaters show previews actually connected to anything the audience for a particular film might want to see. You know - usually if you go to the movies to see a comedy, you'll get 5 previews for comedies (or 4 plus the big blockbuster that they figure everyone is going to go see). Or if you go see a kids movie, you're going to see previews for Hannah Montana. That kind of thing.

Not always. Sometimes you go to the movie theater to see "A Single Man" and see previews for "Nightmare on Elmstreet 46," whatever the scary island movie that Leonardo D. is in, and another scary movie whose title I can't remember because I had my eyes closed until the scary parts were over. I was a little worried me and my band of merry-merries had somehow managed to stumble in to the wrong theater. And then when the movie started and it was in fact staring Colin Firth, I was a little afraid that it was going to be a horror movie.

But it wasn't.

What it was was a lovely film -- beautiful in its use of color and movement, highlighting moments of clarity. Showing the beauty in those moments when you really look at something or someone - when things slow down and you notice the details.

That's my lesson for the day -- to notice things. I think I let things get too blurry -- make it all go too fast. So, I'll try to slow things down a bit. That and not go see any of the scary movies I saw previews for. Did they really think I was going to be convinced to see any of them? Eek.

3 comments:

mom said...

so, what was the movie? Was it actually moments of clarity? I have not heard of it.

kristin said...

Geesh. The irony that I wasn't clear enough.

The movie I saw was "A Single Man."

But more importantly, why are you up at 5am, Mom? And isn't it weird that you're up already and I'm just going to sleep (I clearly missed my 10pm bedtime...)?

mom said...

yes....go to bed earlier tonight!!