Friday, August 13, 2010

Priorities

"Once you have a clear picture of your priorities- that is values, goals, and high leverage activities- organize around them."
-- Stephen Covey


I wonder what Mr. Stephen Covey (still haven't read his book, which is why I continue to deal with highly effective organizational tools that I have yet to master, I suppose) would think about what I accomplished today... I have a feeling he would say I might have mis-prioritized.

For those of you waiting with baited breath to hear about Boston, I must make a brief break in the colonial report (I haven't forgetten that there's more to tell! The best is yet to come!) to share an exciting development.

In the present day, I'm home. Ready to get to work. But first I had to spend the evening organizing. You know, because I had better things to do like plan two totally new classes that I have to start teaching in a mere 11 days.

But clearly, this was more important.

And in case you missed how terrible it is, a closer look at just one section.

So, a trip to the store and the advice of some friends who suggested the lazy susan idea, here's the final product.

I was so happy with the decluttering and organization, I decided to tackle another hell-area.

And two things re-appropriated from the bathroom remodel later, a new look for the counter.

In addition, I successfully cleaned out the kitchen cabinetes/pantry area and did some reorganizing there, but failed to document properly, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

And lest you think to yourself, "Wow! This girl has it all together!" I leave you with a peak at a future project:
(I cannot capture in this photo the depth of the mess of this chair. Layers. I think under there somewhere is a cover for my phone that I need. And maybe a million dollars.)

Or perhaps I could sift through:

Or even this simple one:

I have until Sept 18 to get these taken care of -- good thing sister A-Dawg is coming to town so I can have a reason to clean up this mess! Yeah! I hope that's a goal Mr. Covey can condone.

4 comments:

Lee Anne said...

I love me some lazy Susan! Sometimes you have to declutter your environment to declutter your mind. Tell that to Mr. Covey. Hope you and A have a good visit! flad

kristin said...

Flad, thanks for the comment and thanks for your support! I got a double-decker lazy Susan for the spice cabinet and used the old one in the bathroom. It's perfect for that weirdo space!

Yes, I'm excited about A's visit!! A lead up to your visit! :)

mom said...

looking good. I like the kitchen basket....do you want to come work in my office and get it organized??

Alexa said...

im so glad that i can give you some motivation! also i like that you thought ahead of time to take before shots....your a professional blogger! ALSO i need to tackle a couple areas in our house...the hallway closet, the corner of the study with the wire shelves that has random piles of paper in it ...and i need to put away about a months worth of clean clothes. now that i wrote it down...it must be done! :) also a double decker lazy susan...i cant wait to see it!