Saturday, July 16, 2011

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose


I love Texas.

I'll admit it. It's where I'm "from" so to speak. It's where I learned how to walk. It's where I learned how to drive a car. It's where I learned how to be a teacher.

And now it's a far away place... one I tend to look back on with the rose-colored glasses that I wear so often.

I forget the 110 degree heat and 95% humidity.

I forget the ridiculous number of football players there were at my high school (Varsity, JV, C team, freshmen team. I mean. really.).

I forget that we thought it was really, really cold at 50ยบ.

And I overlook all of that and appreciate the beauty of Texas at two distinct times:

1. In the summer when here in Alaska I am transported to the Hill Country -- when the lupine grow everywhere and make me believe I'm back in Lady Bird Johnson's Texas of bluebonnets and flox and Indian paintbrush.
(the arctic lupine at my school down the street from a glacier.)

2. When I hear Lyle Lovett sing a song. No matter when or where. Texas on my mind every time.

and

3. When I sit down to watch the latest episode of Friday Night Lights.

And now that I've watched the final episode of the show, I can admit that I will miss it.

I will miss what I think is the best example of married people on TV in Coach and Tami Taylor. They love each other, they have problems, they work through them.

I will miss the stern and serious but caring coaching of Eric Taylor. I will miss being reminded of the completely serious and insane love of football that was Dillon, Texas.


I will also miss the slightly ridiculous publicity photos during the "bring back FNL" media blitz.


And here are some things I will take away from my 5 year experience with Friday Night Lights:

- I want to name something (like my next cat or a goldfish) TimRiggins. or TamiTaylor.

- If you want to get some sense of what difficulties lie in a two-school town, watch season 4. I lived a parallel experience and they got some stuff right there...

- I hope to remember and use Coach's philosophy and apply it to whatever task it is that seems difficult and challenging: Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can't lose.

3 comments:

suzinoz said...

Nice photo of Lyle! Remember When we took our Bluebonnet photos w/our caps on in that field by our apt? Good times!

mom said...

Makes me want to watch it...

Lee Anne said...

Lyle is mine;) BTW, he posts a lot on FB these days about his concerts.
We haven't watched the last episode yet - but I agree - love FNL! And I don't even like football or know anything about football....