Friday, July 24, 2009

Ah, camp

This summer in Juneau has been great. We've had a lot of really nice weather - HOT, actually. Like 80s. A few days. But lots of 60s and 70s. And yet I've managed to miss a lot of it finishing up the school year and being inside, then being out of town (where it was cool most of the time). But it's been great-- so I was all ready for another week of fabulous weather out at camp. I even packed the sunscreen just in case.

I should have guessed that we'd have a return to the usual 55ยบ and raining. And that we did -- it was pretty cold and wet. Thank goodness for hot drinks.

Camp is probably more fun when you're 12 than when you're 35. But throughout the wet week, there was some fun to be had -- remembering the ole' camp songs, cooking hobo-stew in the coals of a camp fire, smores, kids having fun -- that was all good.

Even better was the great response to the really selfish request to get mail at camp! I'm reporting back that 4 people's mail got to me while there. Here's a collection of the mail booty:

Of special interest is the bird-beak wallet made out of recycled plastic bags from Sam and Lee:

and the painting by Hank entitled "Thin Mint":

I did not have any Thin Mints while at camp, unfortunately. I think we were eating the leftover cookies from this year -- there were some Lemon Chalets, some chocolate chip cookies, and some Dulce de Leche or something like that. And the ubiquitous trefoils. There was one box of Tagalongs that didn't last very long. In fact, I think it barely survived the unloading of gear into camp. So, what with the cookies and all the other camp food, I think my prize for the week is a extra 5lbs I took home with me.

The exercise regimen starts again tomorrow. My gym membership misses me!

And the weather forecast for tomorrow is close to 70. Figures.

1 comment:

mom said...

interesting array of mail....enjoy your better weather this week.