Friday, December 11, 2009

It's like the last chapter of Deathly Hallows

Some people have drug pushers.

I have TV pushers. Some of my TV pushers are very obviously my TV pushers - they bring me shows to watch, they recommend new series to put in my Netflix cue. I try some, I like most. Some shows sneak up on my (The Wire). Some I instantly become addicted to (Friday Night Lights).

Sometimes, people become my TV pushers by accident - and they don't even know it. They just casually mention a show they happen to be watching, and it just sounds too good for me to pass up. This was the case recently when someone just dropped the fact that they were watching Gilmore Girls.

So, I listened to that casual drop of name, and have started catching up on life in Stars Hallow. It's no West Wing, but it's fun TV. And I've been obsessively watching it. But now I'm having a last chapter moment.

I used to have last chapter moments a lot. It would happen at the last few chapters of a long book - the ones I didn't want to end. Books like Little Women. The last book in the Anne of Green Gables series or the last of the Chronicles of Narnia. Or the last Harry Potter book. You know the book - or the series - is going to end and you won't have any more escape into the world in which you've been engrossed. So, I'd string out the last chapter - read a few pages, stop, get a snack, run an errand (not sure what the errand was when I was 12?), do some homework, read a few more pages, another break. I'd read the whole book in one long gulp until that last chapter. I could make the last chapter last for a whole day.

And now, here I am. I've been home for three days sick with a cough and fever and rattling chest that is starting to get better (thank you antibiotics!) during which time I have knocked out almost 2 seasons of Gilmore Girls. And now I'm on the last DVD of the last season. I'm not sure how many episodes are left, but I'm afraid to put in the DVD and find out there's only one show left. I'm hoping it's two. But I'm not willing to push my luck.

So I'm taking a last chapter break. It's time to do some laundry, take a shower, get myself dressed (yes, it's 3pm). I might even take a walk in the setting sun. Anything to extend the last chapter. I'm getting ready for tears - I'm thinking the series finale of the show might make me cry in my weakened-immune system way, so I have to make sure I'm prepped.

And then I'll be ready to make it to the end. And say goodbye to Loralie and Rory and Luke and Logan and all the other characters with whom I've bonded in my time of sickness.

Thank goodness the drugs are kicking in and I should be able to leave the house tomorrow and interact with the real world again.

6 comments:

Topaz said...

Ha ha...are you sure you don't need somebody check in on you?(smile) I hear you, Colin and I got hooked on Battlestar Gallactica for awhile.

Lee Anne said...

Have you seen Weeds? You can get the first few seasons instantly from Netflix. It can be your next crack :)

kristin said...

If I didn't have plans to leave the house tomorrow, Topaz, one might have considered sending in the troops. But now that - alas - I've finished Gilmore Girls (it took me several hours - until 7:30pm!), there's no reason to stay home anymore...

Lee, it's too bad netflix instant thing doesn't work on my computer. Actually, that's probably a good thing!

mom said...

I love the Gilmore Girls - Alexa & I used to watch it. I hope you're feeling better by now. Did you have some soup??

Unknown said...

Kristin, you are too funny! I love your wit and humor.
Auntie Donna

suzinoz said...

I totally had this last chapter issue with the West Wing which I watched entirely on DVD. I really didn't want it to end. I still can't believe it's over. So sad. Love seeing Rob Lowe again on Brothers and Sisters--are you into that one? Get on board sister!