I've had to take a break from Colonial-ness. I didn't realize how crazy the colonial circuit would be if I did it 24-7 without a break.
Now, just to alleviate the pains of those of you thinking, "But Kristin, how could you stray from your trip theme and expect to still call the trip the American Colonial Heritage Road Trip Extravaganza?" I did fit in at least one connection yesterday and have a couple of quick walk-by sightings plans for today.
Let me explain.
When I last left of and wasn't completely frustrated by PC-dom, I was in Philadelphia. Cradle of our democracy. An Amazing place.
And before that I was in DC where I -- I'll admit it -- I teared up a couple of times thinking about how amazing it is, this country of ours. How amazing it is that a bunch of folks got together and decided to put it to the man and tell George they'd had it. And sat around a really hot room with the doors and windows closed so people would leave them alone and fought over this plan that we still pretty much follow today. And then the leader person gets to live in this fancy house that anyone (well, anyone who knows the right people at least...) can walk around at certain times of certain days -- and when that leader is done leading, someone else comes and takes over and they shake hands and don't kill each other. I do not use "amazing" as a fluffy superlative here. Really. Amazing.
So I did tear up a little when I saw Betsy Ross's gigantic flag there in the dimly lit protected area (though I blame the air conditioning as it was a shock to the system, hence the whelming feeling of gratitude). And I teared up a little at the constitution museum (though I blame the cheesy music that is totally meant to sweep your soul into doing whatever the task at hand might be, like drinking the kool-aid). And I had tears actually runnnnnnning down my face when I watched the film in the Medal of Honor section of museum #3 of the trip (though I blame ... well, nothing. that one makes me sad and mad and want to cry that we can't get it together as a planet and still have to kill each other on occassion to get what we want).
And so I had to take a short pause from colonialism and take in the modern world.
I arrived into New York yesterday and sweated my way to Brooklyn for a quick stop to drop off my bags (which are slightly heavier with the addition of a colonial-era woman's head covering which I must wear for a picture at some point -- did I mention my jealousy over the girl who was in her colonial outfit with her family to take a picture in front of Independence Hall?? but I digress. yet again.). After lunch with friends (and an actor sighting -- I am such the country-bumpkin on this issue -- it's always so exciting! an actor! live in the flesh!) in the city I was off on my own to do some 'splorin. I found my way to time square, waited in pretty short line (at least I suspect it was short... who goes to see plays on a Monday!?) and paid my money to see a real live Broadway show. Then, finding myself with 3 long hot hours I fill before the big bad Broadway show, I decided to make the most of my one day mta pass and got a little lost on the way to Little Italy (damn them - why do they have to give the same name to different stations that aren't really close to each other!?). But found it. Phew. And had some pasta that was a little too much for a hot day. Next time, better choices. But what I learned from the afternoon's excursions was a much quicker and more efficient way to get back to Time Square and the theater I had an appointment with. So off I went.
For the evening's excursion I opted for the less-than-flashy David Mamet offering, _Race_. And it was less-than-amazing, truth be told. The playwright's discussion of race (the events of the play surrounded the interactions between a white man accused of raping a black woman and the lawyers [one white, one black, and a black intern at the firm] he wants to take on his case) wasn't as interesting/compelling/challenging as I was hoping for. But among the cast: the dude who plays the president on _24_ and who wants to sell me insurance, John Boy Walton, and Eddie Izzard with a mostly-convincing American accent. So that was fun.
And now it's the morning after all of that. And I'm relaxing in the Brooklyn coffee shop. Putting off, just a little, the afternoon's excursion to a few colonial sites in lower Manhattan. Do I have to? No, but yes - it's time to get back on the colonial horse and get ready for Boston.
(I just put some pics on facebook. go there if you want to see some of the fun I had.)
1 comment:
I hope the statue of liberty is considered a colonial object....
Post a Comment