Keep in mind that after this picture was taken I added more of my junk. It looked about like that when I moved into the house 3 years ago. After this picture was taken the space was insulated, so things in the walls were pushed into the main space, and more piled up.Needless to say, the space was crowded with things I didn't want crowding my space! Dad started digging around down there on Tuesday and began the process of cleaning it out. He worked pretty darn hard and by Tuesday evening, we'd cleaned out the place. I don't have an "empty" picture or a picture of the pile o' stuff to give you some way to imagine how much stuff was down there! You'll just have to imagine it.
On Wednesday, after our morning of fishing, we borrowed a friend's big-ass truck and we met up with two young football players who "volunteer" to do chores in exchange for a donation to the football program. They were great! They hauled stuff down the 54 stairs - up and down, up and down, up and down -- until it was all in the truck. Dad and I wagered on whether or not it would fit into one load - I won. It fit. I don't have a picture of that either, or of our trip to the dump... can you imagine it's someone's job to drive a big thing back and forth all day long to crush people's trash...
Treasures we found included some really ancient gas cans, tools my dad didn't recognize, motors, drain fittings, lots of things from the 1930s when the house was built. It was kind of fun to see what was down there. Nothing we thought too worthy of Antiques Roadshow, but if you need a few sheets of dry wall, I kept that.
The end result is that I was able to put some of my own stuff into the crawl space! Yippe!
It truly is more amazing than it looks! Trust us.
1 comment:
I am pretty terrified of crawl spaces, which I am sure harbor brown recluse spiders, so I admire your fortitude in taking on such a perilous task.
Post a Comment